Fiber Automatic Transfer Switch

James Jun james.jun at towardex.com
Mon Aug 17 18:33:05 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 02:14:13PM -0400, Tim Nowaczyk wrote:
> I am new to the world of layer-1optical failover solutions. I came across the NTT-AT Intelligent Optical Switch [1] while researching products that can be used to automatically switch a fiber path on link failure. Do any of you have experience with this particular product? Can anyone recommend a similar 1U product that can transfer an optical signal to a secondary path when there???s been a break?

Essentially, all you're looking for is a 1+1 optical splitter on transmit and photonic switch on receive.
Many vendors make this, including from cheap sources[1] to optical protection cards from big vendors[2].

I'd also recommend Huhber+Suhner (Cube Optics) - these guys can customize optical line protection package, we use them ourselves.

[1]:  http://www.tryincn.com/olp-optical-line-protector-card/
[1]:  https://www.fs.com/products/66010.html
[2]:  https://myriad360.com/product/ciena-ntk554ta/

James