Bottlenecks and link upgrades

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Thu Aug 13 15:33:59 UTC 2020

> Wouldn't it be better to measure the basic performance like packet drop
> rates and queue sizes ?

Those values should be a standard part of monitoring and data collection,
but if they happen to MATTER or not in a given situation very much depends.

The traffic profile traversing the link may be such that the observed drop
% and buffer depths is acceptable for that traffic, and there is no need
for further tuning or changes. In other scenarios it may not be, in which
case either network or application adjustments are warranted.

There is rarely a one sized fits all answer when it comes to these things.