Bottlenecks and link upgrades

Olav Kvittem olav.kvittem at uninett.no
Thu Aug 13 10:23:50 UTC 2020

On 12.08.2020 09:31, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> At what point do commercial ISPs upgrade links in their backbone as
> well as peering and transit links that are congested?  At 80%
> capacity?  90%?  95%?

Hi,

Wouldn't it be better to measure the basic performance like packet drop
rates and queue sizes ?

These days live video is needed and these parameters are essential to
the quality.

Queues are building up in milliseconds and people are averaging over
minutes to estimate quality.

If you are measuring queue delay with high frequent one-way-delay
measurements

you would then be able to advice better on what the consequences of a
highly loaded link are.

We are running a research project on end-to-end quality and the enclosed
image is yesterdays report on

queuesize(h_ddelay) in ms. It shows stats on delays between some peers.

I would have looked at the trends on the involved links to see if
upgrade is necessary -

421 ms  might be too much ig it happens often.

Best regards

  Olav Kvittem