Bottlenecks and link upgrades

Simon Leinen simon.leinen at switch.ch
Thu Aug 13 09:56:40 UTC 2020

m Taichi writes:
> Just my curiosity. May I ask how we can measure the link capacity
> Load sampled and measured instantaneously, or averaging over a certain
> period of time (granularity)?

Very good question!

With tongue in cheek, one could say that measured instantaneously, the
load on a link is always either zero or 100% link rate...

ISPs typically sample link load in 5-minute intervals and look at graphs
that show load (at this 5-minute sampling resolution) over ~24 hours, or
longer-term graphs where the resolution has been "downsampled", where
downsampling usually smoothes out short-term peaks.

>From my own experience, upgrade decisions are made by looking at those
graphs and checking whether peak traffic (possibly ignoring "spikes" :-)
crosses the threshold repeatedly.

At some places this might be codified in terms of percentiles, e.g. "the
Nth percentile of the M-minute utilization samples exceeds X% of link
capacity over a Y-day period".  I doubt that anyone uses such rules to
automatically issue upgrade orders, but maybe to generate alerts like
"please check this link, we might want to upgrade it".

I'd be curious whether other operators have such alert rules, and what
N/M/X/Y they use - might well be different values for different kinds of
links.
--
Simon.
PS. We use the "stare at graphs" method, but if we had automatic alerts,