Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Aug 12 07:59:56 UTC 2020

On 12/Aug/20 09:49, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> Two more bits' worth ...
>
> About a year ago, during a discussion with a local network operator's CTO,
> I was told that dependency on the operator's employees
> for production of software gave the employees too much leverage over
> their employer (the operator, here).
>
> Perhaps industrial standardization of internal processes (including
> orchestration APIs) weakens this leverage.

I'm not sure that's a viable argument considering that any good employee
(network, software, e.t.c.) will inherently have considerable leverage
over their employer. And any good employer knows what to do when they
realize they have good talent - either they do what is required to
maintain that talent, or live with the risk of losing that talent to the
competition.

Moreover, an employer doesn't have to give in to the whims of a
conceited employee; and most do not.

Standardizing processes would do little to allay the fears of a CTO who
is worried about being "cornered" by his/her staff. The real fear such a
CTO would have is in implementation and operation of those processes at
a technology level, i.e., where the rubber meets the actual road.

If companies are going to be that scared by their employees, and if
employees are going to play games with their employers, they each have
other problems to solve, first :-).

Mark.