Bottlenecks and link upgrades

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Aug 12 07:44:16 UTC 2020

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 10:35, Hank Nussbacher <hank at interall.co.il> wrote:

> At what point do commercial ISPs upgrade links in their backbone as well as peering and transit links that are congested?  At 80% capacity?  90%?  95%?

I've worked for employees where policy has been anywhere from 50% or
80%. And I know this isn't complete range. Most do not subscribe to
any single simple rule but act more tactically.

Personally if the link is in a growth market, you should upgrade
really early, 50% seems late, cost is negligible if you anticipate
growth to continue. If it's not a growth market cost may become less
than negligible.

Sometimes networks congest particularly their edge interfaces
strategically due to poor incentives, where irrelevant revenue
wholesale arm might see some benefit from strategic congestion while
also significantly hurting their money printing mobile arm reducing
company wide bottom line while improving wholesale arm bottom line.

--
  ++ytti