Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Tue Aug 11 18:44:37 UTC 2020

On 11/Aug/20 17:55, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> Can you elaborate?
> Apart from licensing scheme what stops one from redirecting traffic to one vTMS instance per say each transit link or per destination /24 (i.e. horizontal scaling)? (vTMS is not stateful or is it?)

In an effort to control costs, we considered a vTMS from Arbor.

Even Arbor didn't recommend it, which was completely unsurprising.

Arbor can flog you a TMS that can sweep 10Gbps, 20Gbps, 40Gbps or
100Gbps worth of traffic. I don't see how you can run that kind of
traffic in a VM.

> Can you please point out any efforts where operators are trying to standardize the orchestration piece?

NETCONF, YANG, LSO.

> I think industry is not falling over on this just progressing at steady rate while producing artefacts in the process that you may or may not want to use (I actually find them very useful and not impeding).

What's 10 years between friends :-)...

> Personally, I don't need a standard on how I should orchestrate network services. There are very interesting and useful ideas, or better put "frameworks", that anyone can follow (and most are), but standardizing these, ...no point in my opinion.

Now that's something we can agree on... and once folk realize that
getting your solution going is the end-goal - rather than bickering over
whether NETCONF or YANG or SSH or whatever should be the BCOP - is when
we shall finally see some real progress.

Personally, I don't really care of you choose to keep CLI or employ
thousands of software heads to automate said CLI. As long as you are
happy and not wasting time taking every meeting from every vendor about
"automation".

Mark.