Compromized modems in Thai IP Space

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Tue Aug 11 14:45:50 UTC 2020

Alexander Maassen wrote:

> It turns out that in
> Thailand, people can easily get cloned modems in order to internet for
> 'free',

I think you failed to explain that, in Thailand, wiretapping is
commonly performed by people illegally having free Internet access,
against which MAC address is used, in vain, to identify true users.

> it simply boils down to mac cloning,

Of course.

> My question here kinda is, how to permanently get rid of this evil in an
> effective way,

Let access ISPs use TDR (Time Domain Reflectometry) to detect
wiretapping, which requires periodic monitoring, which costs.

Or, though less elegantly, password protection by something like
PPPoE may work, which requires initial cost to change equipment.

Anyway, preventing free riding should increase revenue of the ISPs.

> and who to contact?

ISPs who want to protect paying customers (maybe, partly from your
blacklisting).

> (yes, I tried to get through to NOC's
> of the affected providers),

ISPs can do nothing, unless they know how to prevent free riding by
wiretapping without harming paying customers.

						Masataka Ohta