Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

sronan at ronan-online.com sronan at ronan-online.com
Fri Aug 7 12:40:40 UTC 2020

I can promise 100% that in LARGE US 5G carriers this is exactly what is happening. Virtual CU’s and DU’s, running on traditional virtualization platforms and in containers.

An entire multi-vendor containerized 5G which replaces the 4G EPC is also in testing, and close to production deployment.

The only non-virtualized devices in the RAN network would be the Radio Units (RU).