Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Fri Aug 7 07:35:50 UTC 2020

> Well, I doubt the radio has any service intelligence. It's just a conduit.
> Depending on why two devices on the same radio have to communicate, a
> cleverer system deep in the core would need to process that before handing
> it back to the radio network.

5G introduced a number of functional units (RU, DU and CU) in the radio
access network and disaggregation is flexible. Service intelligence doesn't
need to come from the core; it may be far out in the edge. At the RU, there
is packetized data ready for transmission over eCPRI to the DU. In this
webinar <https://www.lightreading.com/webinar.asp?webinar_id=1656> (@6:07),
there's a bit of a projection about use of service intelligence.

Cheers,

Etienne

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale