Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Aug 6 15:43:04 UTC 2020

Mark,

I don’t think you’re going to move those volumes with Intel X86 chips. For example, AT&T’s Open Compute Project whitebox architecture is based on Broadcom Jericho2 processors, with aggregate on-chip throughput of 9.6 Tbps, and which support 24 ports at 400 Gbps each. This is where AT&T’s 5G slicing is taking place.

https://about.att.com/story/2019/open_compute_project.html

Intel has developed nothing like this, and has had to resort to acquisition of multi-chip solutions to get these speeds (e.g. its purchase of Barefoot Networks Tofino2 IP).

The X86 architecture is too complex and carries too much non-network-related baggage to be a serious player in 5G slicing.

 -mel