Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Thu Aug 6 08:26:35 UTC 2020

On 4/Aug/20 18:05, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> Yes that's exactly it.
> Instead of a VDOM (or whatever is your FW vendor slicing mechanism) give each customer a FW "instance" (VM/Containerized -if there's such a thing already) and instantiate it on demand and with resources customer requested and enforce utility billing.
> Rinse and repeat for any other NF customer might need on your telco cloud (fancy name for a data-canter full of compute)
> As simple as that -problem is that all vendors haven't quite gotten up to speed with licensing models, we need an overall Gbps throughput pool licenses not per VM/Container Gbps pool.

We attempted this for a vCPE model based on CSR1000v.

The options were to either give each customer their own VM, or share a
single VM across all customers. The former was too resource intensive,
while the latter suffered from an appropriate license billing model with
Cisco.

For me, vCPE's make plenty of sense because you can automatically impose
IPv6 on all customers without them being bothered about what it is.

Mark.