Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Wed Aug 5 16:34:25 UTC 2020

>  And while the practical improvement in radio latency

between 4G and 5G is in the low single digits,

how does that make V2X any more interesting with 5G

than it currently is with 4G?

Release 16 is just out and if it has delivered the 5G vision,
latency between devices connected over the same radio interface
(which I take to mean the same gNB),
is now < 1 ms.
Isn't that a good improvement?

Again, what's the actual use-case?

I understand that this is a key enabler for driverless cars (real-time,
automated vehicle navigation) - the V2I part of V2X.

5G coverage is likely going to be worse than 4G coverage for the
> foreseeable future. Either grid-locked or on the open road, chances are
> your car is going to connecting to a 3G/4G cell tower more often than a
> 5G one.

Here's one blogger who agrees with you
<https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/16515/349885?utm_source=brighttalk-recommend&utm_campaign=network_weekly_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=company&utm_term=312020>
(@19:46) about coverage - and count me in.
But, I guess, it's fair to say that this is the chicken-and-egg conundrum :)

Cheers,

Etienne

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale