Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Aug 5 15:01:50 UTC 2020

On 5/Aug/20 16:15, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> I was actually talking about routing on the host and virtual
> control-plane and virtualized data-plane.
>
> Currently we either have a VM combining both or a separate VM for
> each. Alternatively we can have a container for the control-plane.
>
> I was wondering if the idea behind containerization is to do virtual
> data-plane as a container as well.

Good question.

My understanding of cloud-native that the mobile folk want is to deliver
over-the-top services, and not necessarily turn containers into
packet-forwarding routers at scale. However, the question is
interesting, so we'll see.

> In terms of containerization on vendor HW or opening up data-plane,
> seems like XR7 from Cisco is leading the way:
>
> - System runs in containers on RE and Line-cards, allows one to run
> 3^rd party containers,
>
> - Allows one to run 3^rd party routing protocols to program RIB
>
> - Allows one to program FIB via Open Forwarding Abstraction (OFA) APIs
>
> - And XR itself can run on selected 3^rd party HW.
>

> That pretty much covers all the avenues we as operators are interested
> in, of course it’s not all just roses and unicorns and there will be
> further development and streamlining necessary.

That's a good start, indeed. Do we know if Cisco are opening up their
own data plane, or Broadcom ones?

Mark.