Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Wed Aug 5 14:15:02 UTC 2020

I was actually talking about routing on the host and virtual control-plane and virtualized data-plane.

Currently we either have a VM combining both or a separate VM for each. Alternatively we can have a container for the control-plane.

I was wondering if the idea behind containerization is to do virtual data-plane as a container as well.

In terms of containerization on vendor HW or opening up data-plane, seems like XR7 from Cisco is leading the way:

- System runs in containers on RE and Line-cards, allows one to run 3rd party containers,

- Allows one to run 3rd party routing protocols to program RIB

- Allows one to program FIB via Open Forwarding Abstraction (OFA) APIs

- And XR itself can run on selected 3rd party HW.

That pretty much covers all the avenues we as operators are interested in, of course it’s not all just roses and unicorns and there will be further development and streamlining necessary.

adam