Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Aug 5 12:08:22 UTC 2020

On 4/Aug/20 17:45, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> Not sure what you mean NFV is NFV,
>
> From NFV perspective cRDP is no different than vMX -it’s just a
> virtualized router function nothing special…

What I meant that as we've been deploying NFV as a VM, cloud-native
means we take that VM and containerize it further. It's a further
diffusion of NFV, in my book. The benefits about the added de-layering
(if one can call it that) are left as an exercise to the operator.

> Also with regards to NFV markets, it’s just CPE or telco-cloud
> (routing on host, FWs, LBs and other domain specific network devices
> like SBCs), and then RRs, no one sane would be replacing high
> throughput aggregation points like PEs or core nodes with NFV ,unless
> one wants to get into some serious horizontal scaling ;).

Well, vCPE's and vBNG's have long been the holy grail for some of us,
especially since it makes IPv6 roll-out significantly simpler.

Mark.