Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Aug 5 12:05:26 UTC 2020

On 4/Aug/20 17:38, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> Wondering whether the industry will consider containerised data-plane
> in addition to control-plane (like cRDP).
>
> Having just control-plane and then hacking to kernel for doing the
> data-plane bit is …well not as straight forward as having a dedicated
> data-plane VM or potentially container.

Well, there has been some discussion in the past 2 years about whether
vendors can open up some of their data planes and allow those with
enough energy and clue (that means not me, hehe) to have their take on
what they can do with the chips in some kind of form factor, even
without their OS.

Outside of that, merchant silicon is the next step, before we try to
hack it on general-purpose CPU's, as we've been doing for some time.

Mark.