Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Wed Aug 5 11:38:51 UTC 2020

On 4/Aug/20 17:37, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> I think we all do - except technology is not there yet. Just imagine
> if over a single piece of fiber you will get infinite bandwidth
> delivered over unlimited modulation frequency spectrum  ...
>
> IMHO till real true optical switching is a commodity we are stuck with
> statistical multiplexing.

Well, that is why the R&D teams wake up every morning. But it's safe to
say that we are in a very good place where I can now take what was once
meant to run only a single service, and put other customers on it. Or
better yet, what was once meant to only carry 640Gbps, and push it to 6Tbps.

Today's tech. has done quite well. Can we do better? Sure. But I don't
think we are struggling that badly at the moment, knowing how worse it
could be.

> But optimistically I think time will come when you will be able to
> setup end to end optical paths in true any to any fashion with real
> end to end resource guarantees. Then next generations will be looking
> at current routers like we look today at strowger telephone switches  :)

I hope you're right :-).

Mark.