Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Aug 4 16:05:21 UTC 2020

> Mark Tinka
> Sent: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 3:54 PM
>
> On 4/Aug/20 16:46, Djamel Sadok wrote:
> >

> > How about hardware slicing support? such as switch, server and router
> > slicing? is this supported/desirable?
>
> So you mean dump the VLAN model and give each service its own switch?
>
> Or do you mean use one server but give each service its own VM? Or worse,
> give each service its own metal server?
>
> Wouldn't that take us back into the digital stone age :-)?

Yes that's exactly it.
Instead of a VDOM (or whatever is your FW vendor slicing mechanism) give each customer a FW "instance" (VM/Containerized -if there's such a thing already) and instantiate it on demand and with resources customer requested and enforce utility billing.
Rinse and repeat for any other NF customer might need on your telco cloud (fancy name for a data-canter full of compute)
As simple as that -problem is that all vendors haven't quite gotten up to speed with licensing models, we need an overall Gbps throughput pool licenses not per VM/Container Gbps pool.

adam