Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Tue Aug 4 15:37:26 UTC 2020

>   I doubt we want to move away from those concepts.

I think we all do - except technology is not there yet. Just imagine if
over a single piece of fiber you will get infinite bandwidth delivered over
unlimited modulation frequency spectrum  ...

IMHO till real true optical switching is a commodity we are stuck with
statistical multiplexing.

But optimistically I think time will come when you will be able to
setup end to end optical paths in true any to any fashion with real end to
end resource guarantees. Then next generations will be looking at current
routers like we look today at strowger telephone switches  :)

Cheers,
R.

PS. All of the current attempts to turn IP statistical multiplexing into
network slicing or deterministic networks are far from scale or practical
deployments (IMO).