Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 14:53:45 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 10:36 AM Etienne-Victor Depasquale
<edepa at ieee.org> wrote:

> I think that it's validation of QoS that really matters now.

note that it's qos at many layers in the stack as well:
  1) your application 'qos' on the machine(s) on which it runs
  2) your application's traffic qos on the machine/vswitch/etc on which it runs
  3) your application's traffic qos on the immediate network elements  (in pop)
  4) your application's traffic qos on the intermediary network
elements (in metro)
  5) your application's traffic qos on the overall transport network
(ran, fiber, wired, cross-metro/etc)

> If I were to base on this recent video from Keysight (warning: requires registration),
> then it seems that there's a lot of emphasis on making grounded claims about the QoS that the operator sells.

marketing claims are fun.