Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Tue Aug 4 14:52:00 UTC 2020

On 4/Aug/20 16:35, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

> I think that it's validation of QoS that really matters now.
>
> If I were to base on this recent video from Keysight
> <https://www.keysight.com/zz/en/events/america/webinars.html?D2C=2036435&isSocialSharing=Y&partnerref=emailShareFromGateway> (warning:
> requires registration),
> then it seems that there's a lot of emphasis on making grounded claims
> about the QoS that the operator sells.

Well, selling QoS is great, but does it actually help the customer in
the end.

One of the biggest draws to l3vpn's back in the day was that they
provided "awesome QoS". What untrained customers thought was excellent
QoS, is what we engineers knew as RSVP-TE. To the untrained eye,
bandwidth reservation = excellent QoS. What the customer's weren't
always told was that when it all hits the fan, even your PQ traffic may
not be guaranteed final delivery on a 200% congested port due to a
neighboring outage. And that's the traffic the customer is paying
top-dollar for, not to get dropped, ever, hehe.

It's just like the fuss I always faced when landing at SFO... from point
of embarkation, transit and in the cabin, Business or First class
service done right. Arrive SFO; no Priority lane; after traveling for
nearly 30hrs. Not being an American, I can't use Global Entry. Not sure
if that has since changed, but that's real-world QoS for you :-)...

So in a world where the majority of Internet traffic lives on a public
Internet which you can't QoS end-to-end, what will network slicing
deliver in real, QoS terms?

For me, 5G QoS would be great if it had something to do with priority or
discriminated access from the device to the radio (first mile). But I'm
not exactly sure how to practically do that.

QoS applied AFTER the packets leave the radio network and hit the fibre
backbone may not necessarily create real value if the application is
normal Internet access.

If the 5G operator is using the same backbone to carry voice and data,
then yes, QoS can help to ensure they don't drop any VoIP calls. But
then that is already included in the price I pay for making a phone
call, and can't (or shouldn't) be sold extra to me :-).

So again, not sure what QoS a 5G operator is going to sell to a 5G
end-user (single or large scale).

Mark.