Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Mon Aug 3 06:40:43 UTC 2020

> Still not sure how this will work considering a great deal of the global
> Internet is for services that live on the public Internet, and many
> specialized/private services would typically still run over fibre.

Is the following extract from this Heavy Reading white paper
<https://www.infinera.com/wp-content/uploads/HR-Operator-Strategies-for-5G-Transport-July-2020_WP.pdf>,
useful?

" For transport network slicing,
operators strongly prefer soft slicing with virtual private networks
(VPNs),
regardless of the VPN flavor.
Ranking at the top of the list was Layer 3 VPNs (selected by 66% of
respondents),
but Layer 2 VPNs, Ethernet VPNs (EVPNs), and segment routing
also ranked highly at 47%, 46%, and 46%, respectively.
The point is underscored by the low preferences among all of the hard
slicing technologies—
those that physically partition resources among slices.
Hard slicing options formed the bottom tier among preferences."

Etienne

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale
Assistant Lecturer