Issue with Noction IRP default setting (Was: BGP route hijack by AS10990)

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Sun Aug 2 16:36:02 UTC 2020

Hi Ca,

> Noction is sold to ISPs, aka transit AS, afaik

Interesting.

My impression always was by talking to Noction some time back that mainly
what they do is a flavor of performance routing.  But this is not about
Noction IMHO.

If I am a non transit ASN with N upstream ISPs I want to exit not in a hot
potato style ... if I care about my services I want to exit the best
performing way to reach back customers. That's btw what Cisco PFR does or
Google's Espresso or Facebook Edge Fabric etc ...

And you have few vendors offering this as well as bunch of home grown tools
attempting to do the same. Go and mandate that all of them will do
NO-EXPORT if they insert any routes ... And we will see more and more of
those type of tools coming.

Sure we have implementations with obligatory policy on eBGP - cool. And yes
we have match "ANY" too.

So if your feedback is that to limit the iBGP routes to go out over eBGP
this is all sufficient and we do not need a bit more protection there then
case solved.

Cheers,
R.