Issue with Noction IRP default setting (Was: BGP route hijack by AS10990)

Matt Erculiani merculiani at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 01:56:12 UTC 2020

Ryan,

To continue with your analogy, this would be more similar to someone who
has never driven before walking into a dealership and buying a new car to
drive off the lot. Ultimately the responsibility is on the driver, but the
dealership should have never sold them the car in the first place. Thus,
it's reasonable to place some of the responsibility on the vendors who
introduce this equipment into the wild without truly understanding (or
worse, not caring) how easy they've made it for their users to cause havoc
when most of the defaults are left untouched.

Again, it's not like anyone consciously sets these optimizers to evil,
they're just spontaneously dangerous when left misconfigured (which is
apparently easy to do). These devices throw caution to the wind in the name
of being easy to use.

Think of all the companies that set up AD servers with "corp.com" and how
big of a security risk that is. Microsoft ended up taking action because of
the potentially catastrophic implications,  but at least it only affected
the companies that made poor choices. Now imagine those same individuals
who threw security to the wind are sold one of these devices because it's a
turnkey way to make their network faster; that's exactly what we see here
and it's terrifying to think how many of those little route hijack
timebombs are out there, just waiting to ruin your day, night, or vacation
in the Bahamas.

-Matt

--
Matt Erculiani