Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

John Lee jllee9753 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 21:53:11 UTC 2020

The short answer is that the "Cloud Native Computing" folks need to talk to
the Intel Embedded Systems Application engineers to discover that micro
services have been running on Intel hardware in (non-standard) containers
for years. We call it real time computing, process control,... Current
multi Terabit Ethernet interfaces require specialized hardware and
interfaces that will connect fiber optics to clouds but cannot be run on
clouds.

Some comments on Software Controlled Telecomm (/datacom) networking. When
DTMF was invented the telco used in band signaling for call control. Kevin
Mitnick et. al. designed red and black boxes to control the telco systems
so the telcos moved call control out of band. They created SIgnal Control
Points which managed the actual circuit switch hardware to route calls or
eventually 64kbps digital paths and this protocol was SS#7. There were six
to seven volumes of CLASS services that were enabled by SS#7 which ran on
UNIX systems developed by Bell Labs. In the mid seventies, I worked on VM
systems from DEC and Apollo of which Apollo had the better virtualization
that worked across the network and was the first "cloud" system that I
worked on.

In the mid nineties, I had worked on large Gigabit/Terabit routers but
again the control plane was part of the data plane until ATM based
networks  could use out of band control to setup a SVC between input port
and output port and switch the IP packets instead of routing them achieving
network end to end delays of less than milliseconds. VLAN and MPLS
protocols were developed to switch packets in the backbone of the networks
and not to route them.

In 2000 we put our first pre-standard cloud together with multi Gigabit
routers and Sun workstations at 45 PoPs in the US, 3 in Asia and 6 in
Europe and implemented a "cloud" O/S. Our fastest links were 10 Gbps. Now
we can have 2-50 Tbps per fiber using Superchannel DWDM technology between
PoP, data centers or cell towers. Network control functions can dynamically
change by using Dynamic Reprogrammable EPROMs from companies like Xilinx
and Intel to repurpose firmware control and device functions.

Embedded systems have implemented "micro services" for years as that is how
you handle interrupt driven real time control. We call this a context
switch which is still hardware CPU dependent. As far as I know, current
standard containers do not handle real time CPU interrupts or do they allow
very tight timing reponse loops within the standard containers?

Certain 5G proposals are discussing network slicing et al to virtualize
control functions that can work better without virtualization. Current 5G
protocol submissions that I have reviewed are way too complex to work out
in the real world on real networks, maintained by union labor. (This is not
a dig at union labor, as they are some of the best trained techs.) :)