Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Sat Aug 1 20:51:22 UTC 2020

On 1/Aug/20 18:23, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> Virtualization is not becoming obsolete ... quite reverse in fact in
> all types of deployments I can see around.
>
> The point is that VM provides hardware virtualization while kubernetes
> with containers virtualize OS apps and services are running on in
> isolation.
>
> Clearly to virtualize operating systems as long as your level of
> virtualization mainly in terms of security and resource consumption
> isolation & reservation is satisfactory is a much better and lighter
> option.

I see cloud-native as NFV++. It requires some adjustment to how classic
NFV has been deployed, and that comes down to whether operators
(especially those who err on the side of network operations rather than
services) see value in upgrading their stack to cloud-native.

If you're a Netflix or an Uber, sure, a cloud-native architecture is
probably the only way you can scale. But if you are simple network
operators who focus more on pushing packets than over-the-top services,
particularly if you already have some NFV, making the move to
cloud-native/NFV++ is a whole consideration.

Mark.