Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Sat Aug 1 16:23:16 UTC 2020

> I reason that Intel's implication is that virtualization is becoming
> obsolete.
> Would anyone care to let me know his thoughts on this prediction?

Virtualization is not becoming obsolete ... quite reverse in fact in all
types of deployments I can see around.

The point is that VM provides hardware virtualization while kubernetes with
containers virtualize OS apps and services are running on in isolation.

Clearly to virtualize operating systems as long as your level of
virtualization mainly in terms of security and resource consumption
isolation & reservation is satisfactory is a much better and lighter
option.

Thx,
R.