BGP route hijack by AS10990

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Sat Aug 1 16:09:30 UTC 2020

On 1/Aug/20 17:49, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Aviation makes a strong effort in this area, perhaps stronger than any other
> human endeavor, especially when you’re talking about the fraction of
> Aviation known in the US as “Part 121 Scheduled Air Carrier Services”.
>
> However, as noted above, there are exceptions.
>
> In fact, there are striking parallels between Asiana 214 and this incident.
>
> The tools to avoid the accident in question automatically were available to the
> pilots, but they failed to turn them on (autothrottle).
>
> The tools to avoid this incident were available to Telia, but they
> failed to turn them on.

Agreed, the leading cause of aircraft incidents is human error. When
human errors in aeroplane accidents are repeated, it's usually because
of poor crew resource management, poor training, low experience, poor
situational awareness, crew fatigue, crew disorientation, not following
checklists... that sort of thing.

We've made a whole hymn out of "do proper filtering at eBGP hand-off
points" over the years. Network operators are not always working under
pressure like airline pilots do. On a quiet, calm afternoon, an engineer
can comb the network to make sure all potential mistakes that have been
shouted about for years within our community are plugged, especially
when working at an "experienced" operation such as Telia and similar.

It's almost a "do once and forget, and watch it repeat" type-thing, vs.
airline pilots who need to be on it 110%, every second of every flight,
even if they've got 25,000hrs under their epaulettes.

It shouldn't be this hard...

Mark.