Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Sat Aug 1 09:23:00 UTC 2020

Hi folks,

Over the past few weeks, I've attended webinars and watched videos
organized by Intel.
These activities have centred on 5G and examined applications (like "visual
cloud" and "gaming"),
as well as segment-oriented aspects (like edge networks, 5G RAN and 5G
Core).

I am stunned (no hyperbole) by the emphasis on Kubernetes in particular,
and cloud-native computing in general.
Equally stunning (for me), public telecommunications networks have been
portrayed
as having a history that moved from integrated software and hardware,
to virtualization and now to cloud-native computing.
See, for example Alex Quach, here
<https://www.telecomtv.com/content/intel-vsummit-5g-ran-5g-core/the-5g-core-is-vital-to-deliver-the-promise-of-5g-39164/>
@10:30).
I reason that Intel's implication is that virtualization is becoming
obsolete.

Would anyone care to let me know his thoughts on this prediction?

Cheers all,

Etienne

--
Ing. Etienne-Victor Depasquale