BGP route hijack by AS10990

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Sat Aug 1 00:17:48 UTC 2020

----- On Jul 31, 2020, at 2:50 PM, Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

> On 31/Jul/20 23:38, Sabri Berisha wrote:
>
>> Kudos to Telia for admitting their mistakes, and fixing their processes.
>
> It's great that they are fixing this - but this was TOTALLY avoidable.

I'm not sure if you read their entire Mea Culpa, but they did indicate that
the root cause of this issue was the provisioning of a legacy filter that
they are no longer using. So effectively, that makes it a human error.

We're going to a point where a single error is no longer causing outages,
something very similar to my favorite analogy: avation. Pretty much every
major air disaster was caused by a combination of factors. Pretty much
every major outage these days is caused by a combination of factors.

The manual provisioning of an inadequate filter, combined with an
automation error on the side of a customer (which by itself was probably
caused by a combination of factors), caused this issue.

We learn from every outage. And instead of radio silence, they fessed up
and fixed the issue. Have a look at the ASRS program :)

Thanks,

Sabri