Google peering pains in Dallas

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Thu Apr 30 23:10:43 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 11:43 AM Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 2:39 PM Aaron C. de Bruyn <aaron at heyaaron.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Why isn't there a well-known anycast ping address similar to
> CloudFlare/Google/Level 3 DNS, or sorta like the NTP project?
> > Get someone to carve out some well-known IP and allow every ISP on the
> planet to add that IP to a router or BSD box somewhere on their network?
> Allow product manufacturers to test connectivity by sending pings to it.
> It would survive IoT manufacturers going out of business.
> > Maybe even a second well-known IP that is just a very small webserver
> that responds with {'status': 'ok'} for testing if there's HTTP/HTTPS
> connectivity.
> >

> It sounds like, to me anyway, you'd like to copy/paste/sed the AS112
> project's goals, no?

Or at least expand on it, to define specific IPs within
192.175.48.0/24
and
2620:4f:8000::/48
as ICMP/ICMPv6 probe destinations

If every manufacturer knew that, say 2620:4f:8000::58
was going to respond to ICMPv6 ping requests (::58 chosen
purely because it matches the IPV6-ICMP protocol number),
it would surely make it easier for them to do "aliveness"
probing without worries that a single company might go out
of business shortly after releasing their product.

Certainly worthy of proposing to the AS112 operators,
I would think.   :)

Matt