Google peering pains in Dallas

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Thu Apr 30 18:38:59 UTC 2020

Why isn't there a well-known anycast ping address similar to
CloudFlare/Google/Level 3 DNS, or sorta like the NTP project?
Get someone to carve out some well-known IP and allow every ISP on the
planet to add that IP to a router or BSD box somewhere on their network?
Allow product manufacturers to test connectivity by sending pings to it.
It would survive IoT manufacturers going out of business.
Maybe even a second well-known IP that is just a very small webserver that
responds with {'status': 'ok'} for testing if there's HTTP/HTTPS
connectivity.

-A