CGNAT Solutions

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 30 02:12:29 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 5:27 PM Thomas Scott <mr.thomas.scott at gmail.com> wrote:
> > cell-phone environment. A classic small ISP fills a different niche.
>
> I've dealt with traditional cable and fiber SP environments, but I'm curious how the architecture differs so drastically with T-Mobile to allow v6 to work so seamlessly. From working with their techs when turning up circuits, I don't feel like their architecture and the ones I've worked in differ too dramatically. My private cell service is through a tmo reseller, and I've only ever had a public v6 address on them.
>
> What allows them to work with v6 in such an efficient manner?

A piece of client software is installed on every phone that presents
an IPv4 address to the phone and then translates packets to IPv6 for
relay over the network. This works because T-Mobile has considerable
control over the phone.

https://www.internetsociety.org/resources/deploy360/2014/case-study-t-mobile-us-goes-ipv6-only-using-464xlat/

Regards,
Bill Herrin