Abuse Desks

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Thu Apr 30 00:55:39 UTC 2020

Jeff,

FTPS

The prosecution rests :)

 -mel

On Apr 29, 2020, at 5:25 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 10:43 AM Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org<mailto:mel at beckman.org>> wrote:

Is there any reason to have a root-enabled (or any) ssh server exposed to the bare Internet? Any at all? Can you name one? I can’t. That’s basically pilot error.

Root enabled? No. Otherwise, yes. At $DAYJOB we have a SFTP server that is exposed to the internet so that we can exchange data files with various partners. Sure, in theory you could move that to an HTTPS server, but then you'd have to agree on some API and everyone on both ends would have to write and maintain server/client implementations of those APIs.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.