Google peering pains in Dallas

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 00:53:02 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:00 PM Kaiser, Erich <erich at gotfusion.net> wrote:

> So it has been 3 weeks of major ICMP packet loss to any google service over the Dallas Equinix IX, it is not affecting performance of service but is affecting us with customer complaints and service calls due to some software using it for monitoring purposes people using it for benchmark testing.  I have been told from them that they know the cause now and know that a Large ISP on the IX is causing the issue(Hmm wonder who that is...), so why do they not shutdown the peer with them and force the ISP to fix the issue?  This issue is affecting everyone on the IX not just us, very very frustrating.  Hopefully this will reach someone over there that can do something about it.....

(already did this: "something about  it")

I suppose it's time for a more public:
  "Hey, when you want to test a service, please take the time to test
that service on it's service port/protocol"

Testing; "Is the internet up?"
by pinging a DNS server, is ... not great ;(
I get that telling 'joe/jane random user' this is hard/painful/ugh...
:( (haha, also look at cisco meraki devices!! "cant ping google dns,
internet is down")

Sorry :(

-chris