Abuse Desks

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Wed Apr 29 23:14:23 UTC 2020

----- On Apr 29, 2020, at 3:15 PM, mel mel at beckman.org wrote:

Hi Mel,

> A clever idea to be sure, but it seems open to abuse. What stops someone from
> forging a tcp syn from every /24 on the Internet, causing you to blackhole your
> access to everywhere?

Fair point, and I lied a bit. My code relies on inet_ntoa(client_addr.sin_addr))
after accept(), so technically it requires a bit more than just a SYN.

But the basic idea is that anyone connecting to IPs that they should not be
connecting to, will be nullrouted from the network for 30 days.

The bad guys automate scanning, I automate blocking.

In the old days (pre-9/11), scriptkiddie-me would simply send a teardrop. Luckily I
have matured slightly since that time.

Thanks,

Sabri