Abuse Desks

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Wed Apr 29 23:11:09 UTC 2020

On April 29, 2020 at 07:35 nanog at ics-il.net (Mike Hammett) wrote:
 > "What is it, exactly, that you expect a provider to do with your report of a
 > few failed SSH login attempts to stop the activity?... disconnect the
 > customer."
 >
 > Yes.

What I've done in the past is tell the customer we have received
complaints and if they continue will bill them $100 (pick a number)
per complaint as we are obliged to respond to them.

I actually had someone pay me about $1,000 once tho I'll admit the
threat was usually enough.

In a couple of egregious cases I billed them and shut them off
explaining they didn't have sufficient credit with us so will only be
turned back on when the complaint bills are paid and a deposit for
future complaints received (pick a number.)

TBH I usually never heard from those customers again but that was fine
by me.

--
        -Barry Shein