Abuse Desks

Matt Corallo nanog at as397444.net
Wed Apr 29 17:14:01 UTC 2020

I obviously agree it *can* be an indication of a bigger issue, but it isn't always. Lets take an example from one of my
(isolated netblocks):

~$ whois 208.68.4.129
Comment:        ---------------
Comment:        208.68.4.128/28 and 208.68.7.128/28 provide privacy services
Comment:        (incl running tor exit node(s)!)
Comment:        Abuse reports will be handled but there is likely not much that can be done.
Comment:        Send abuse to abuse at privacysvcs net.
Comment:        ---------------
RAbuseEmail:  see-comments-no-bots at example.com

Now you can decide to pass judgement on the idea that someone may want to run a Tor exit node (my data says a good chunk
of users are regular internet users in Iran, so I'm happy with it), but that's beside the point. Only a few outbound
ports are allowed, and SSH is appropriately rate-limited. And yet there's a reason the registered abuse email is a dummy
one - if its not, not only do I get a flood of automated crap, but I get angry idiots complaining about lack of response.

If I dont put a dummy email there, I don't get legitimate reports hidden under the giant pile of, literally one failed
SSH login, or wouldn't be in a position to respond to them quickly. If I do put a dummy email there, I miss legitimate
reports for other hosts.

I'm open to ideas on what to do here, but the abuse system as it exists today is clearly broken for me, and its clearly
broken for AWS/GCP/Azure/OVH/etc - have you ever tried emailing their registered abuse contacts? I have, the problem
doesn't go away and there are no responses.

The answer is balance, of course, but my concept of balance is your concept of abuse. Either way the situation we've
ended up in is that the whole thing is nigh useless, especially given most of the real crap out there comes from hosting
providers like the above who don't have the bandwidth to respond.

Matt