Abuse Desks

Mukund Sivaraman muks at mukund.org
Wed Apr 29 16:24:18 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 03:41:06PM +0000, Mel Beckman wrote:
> Joe,
>
> Is there any reason to have a root-enabled (or any) ssh server exposed
> to the bare Internet? Any at all? Can you name one? I can’t. That’s
> basically pilot error.

The last time (a couple of weeks ago) when I installed a Linux on a
machine hosted at hetzner.com over the internet, when I logged in for
the first time over SSH, it reported about 60 login failures by
then. This is time between install and first login over SSH within a
matter of minutes.

If there's a lock on my door, and someone tries to pick it, you can call
me at fault for having a lock on my door facing outside all you
want. But the thief picking it has no business doing so, and will be
guilty of a crime if caught.

		Mukund