Abuse Desks

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Wed Apr 29 15:12:29 UTC 2020

Once upon a time, Mukund Sivaraman <muks at mukund.org> said:
> If an abuse report is incorrect, then it is fair to complain.

The thing is: are 3 failed SSH logins from an IP legitimately "abuse"?

I've typoed IP/FQDN before and gotten an SSH response, and taken several
tries before I realized my error.  Did I actually "abuse" someone's
server?  I didn't get in, and it's hard to say that the server resources
I used with a few failed tries were anything more than negligible.

I've had users tripped up by fail2ban because they were trying to access
a server they don't use often and took several tries to get the password
right or had the wrong SSH key.  Should that have triggered an abuse
email?

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>