Abuse Desks

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed Apr 29 14:12:07 UTC 2020

IMO, the answer is balance.

- Handful of SSH connection attempts against a server. Nobody got in,
security hardening did it's job. I don't think that is worth reporting.
- Constant brute force SSH attempts from a given source over an extended
period of time, or a clear pattern of probing, yes, report that.

As much as some pound on the table and say there shouldn't be, there is
always going to be a level of background 'cruft' traffic between networks.
Forever. An argument was made somewhere in here that "scanning" is , by
itself, a problem. I disagree. There are many legitimate use cases for
certain types of scans, maps, etc. It's true that it sometimes can be
difficult to distinguish between a malicious scan and an innocent one.
Proposing a solution of "stop all scanning" is absolutely a baby/bathwater
angle.

I would also challenge those that say "Oh well all these companies should
have perfect flow logs and pay an army of engineers to analyze them for
these 5 specific TCP SYNs from 2 weeks ago." I would bet you probably
couldn't do that either.