CGNAT Solutions

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Apr 29 07:11:20 UTC 2020

On 4/29/20 2:35 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
> If you mean getting rid of logging, not necessarily. It is enough if
> CPEs are statically allocated ranges of external port numbers.

Yes, you can get rid of the logging by statically allocating ranges of
port numbers to a particular customer.

What I was referring to, though, was the programmatic state tracking of
the {external IP, external port}-{internal IP, internal port} mappings.
  You can't eliminate that unless the CPE also knows what internal port
range it's mapped to so that it restricts what range it uses.  If you
can do that, you can get rid of the programmatic state tracking entirely
and just use static translations for TCP and UDP which, while nice, is
impractical.  You're about 95% of the way to LW4o6 or MAP at that point.
--
Brandon Martin