Phishing and telemarketing telephone calls

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Apr 27 16:34:54 UTC 2020

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 7:32 PM Matthew Black <Matthew.Black at csulb.edu> wrote:
> Good grief, selling a kit for $47. Since all robocalls employ Caller ID spoofing, just how does one prove who called?

You don't. AFAICT, that's the point of Anne's comments. Finding them
is good enough. Paying off anyone who both finds them and appears well
connected with the law is cheaper than allowing the legal system to
become aware of their identities and activity.

Blackmail 101 dude. Find someone with a secret and demand payment for
your silence. The best part is that if you're legitimately entitled to
the money because of the secret then it's not technically blackmail.

> Will the telephone company simply hand over detailed transport
> records or the hidden Caller ID information? I don't care about
> making money or imposition of government fines; I just want the calls to cease.

Presumably the meat of the $47 kit is about how to tease out enough
clues to search public records and identify them.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin