Phishing and telemarketing telephone calls

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Apr 26 15:37:42 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2020-04-25 at 11:23 -0600, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:

> Well, while we are already engaged in the thread, some of you may be
> interested to know (especially if you find yourself with time on your
> hands these days), that you *can* actually get money from these
> scum.  In fact, it turns out that they cave pretty easily because
> they *know* they are violating the law, and they *know* what the
> penalties are.

This is awesome!

Not being a lawyer, I have no idea, but how effectively could a non-US-
resident (i.e. somebody who lives in Canada) apply this?  Do the laws
being violated still count if they are to a non US-resident?  Does not
being a US resident weaken the leverage you have over these scum?  I.e.
wouldn't they be more likely to ignore a non-US-resident on the
assumption that such a person is not likely going to bring suit?

Cheers,
b.