mail admins?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 23 23:40:42 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 4:13 PM Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> --- mike at mtcc.com wrote:
>> I'm not sure why the admins of nanog's site should
>> particularly care about appeasing the js tinfoil hat
>> set.
>
> Not the tin foil hat crowd, security.

Can't it be both?

Mobile code (javascript) has a long a storied history of security
disaster. So yes, I surf with javascript disabled and when I run in to
a web site that I can't use without it about 75% of the time I back up
to the search engine and pick a different web site because I don't
want to let my computer run the horrid crapware the site author thinks
I should allow him to run.

Does controlling what I allow my computer to run make me a member of
the tinfoil hat set? Watching folks around me use their equipment,
it's apparent that it does. Is it good security hygiene? Why yes, it's
that too.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--