"Is BGP safe yet?" test

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Apr 22 18:15:01 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 11:45 AM Danny McPherson <danny at tcb.net> wrote:

> On 2020-04-21 12:36, Rubens Kuhl wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 1:10 PM Matt Corallo via NANOG
> > <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> >
> >> That’s an interesting idea. I’m not sure that LACNIC would want
> >> to issue a ROA for RIPE IP space after RIPE issues an AS0 ROA,
> >> though. And you’d at least need some kind of time delay to give
> >> other RIRs and operators and chance to discuss the matter before
> >> allowing RIPE to issue the AS0 ROA, eg in my example mitigation
> >> strategy.
> >
> > All 5 RIRs can issue ROAs for all the IP address spaces. They don't as
> > a matter of coordinated operations, but that doesn't prevent court
> > orders determining that to be done.
>

> Or a miscreant.  [insert-least-favorite-rir] is now part of your attack
> surface.

Or a slip of the keyboard / software ooops / mistake -- but, in spite
of this, I think that RPKI / ROAs / ROV is a good thing; as with
everything, this is an engineering trade off, and to me this feels
well worth it...

I do think that CloudFlare does some great things for the Internet -
they've moved DNSSEC forward immensely, significantly increased the
adoption of HTTPS/TLS, the OctoRPKI/GoRTR stuff is nice and easy,
their hosted RPKI cache, etc -- but their marketing pushes like this
feel overly aggressive.

> -danny

idea in the first place.
of pants.