Are underground utility markers essential workers?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Apr 21 20:58:35 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 11:57 AM Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:
> Utility markers don't get the recognition they deserve.  If they aren't
> essential workers, they should be.... and get hazard pay.

Hi Sean,

I agree that they're essential, but what hazard are we talking about?
The virus isn't mysteriously floating about "out there," beyond your
window. it's proximate to other people and more indoors than out.
Utility markers only rarely wound their way through crowds even when
the crowds weren't hunkered down at home.

Delivery workers, grocery workers, medical staff, I see a plausible
source of hazard there. What's the abnormal hazard to utility markers?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin