xplornet contact or any experience with their satellite service?

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Tue Apr 21 19:03:46 UTC 2020

On 4/21/20 2:54 PM, Mel Beckman wrote:
> It’s not really oversold bandwidth. It’s just that the turnaround time for a bolus of data is too long for two-way video conferencing to be smooth or reliable. It’s like video conferencing using post cards :)

Are consumer satellite provider networks TDD or FDD?  I guess I had assumed the latter, but maybe not?

Assuming FDD, I don't see why the downstream needs to necessarily have problems with extremely long user-data-striping periods unless there's some factor I am just totally not considering.

The upstream is of course more of a problem.  I assume it's TDMA, and the terminals have imperfect clocks.
--
Brandon Martin