"Is BGP safe yet?" test

Matt Corallo nanog at as397444.net
Tue Apr 21 06:51:28 UTC 2020

I find it fascinating that in this entire thread about the nature of RPKI the shift in the role of the RIR hasn’t come up.

Instead of RIRs coordinating address space use by keeping a public list which is (or should be) checked when a new peering session is added, RPKI shifts RIRs into the hot path of routing updates. Next time the US government decides some bad, bad, very bad country should be cut off from the world with viral sanctions, there’s a new tool available - by simply editing a database, every border router in the world will refuse to talk to $EVIL.

By no means am I suggesting we should stop the RPKI train (and AS397444 happily drops invalids and has ROAs for all prefixes), but there’s a very cost here that doesn’t appear to have gotten much love, let alone mitigation effort. In the context of RIPE having to ask for permission to keep receiving payments from several Iranian LIRs, this isn’t completely inconceivable.

By way of an example, something like a waiting period for RIRs to add new ROAs replacing removed ROAs (which would imply some kind of signed replacement, but you get the point). At least ARIN already has a several-month quieting period after yanking resources for non-payment, why not use that to give operators time to think about whether they mind talking to Iran?

/ducks

Matt